Go Back   Got Next Forums > :: Main Menu :: > Green Hill Zone
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Got Next Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What is your current thoughts on Atlus USA?
Old 06-16-2004, 09:57 PM   #1
K1D
Laidback k1ddo

K1D is Offline:
Send a message via ICQ to K1D Send a message via AIM to K1D
Default What is your current thoughts on Atlus USA?

Have you noticed that they are publishing (their own title or someone else title) a lot lately outside of Japan?! I mean thanks to them games that most of us thought "Japan only" are getting a release date in the US now.

Last year they have published Disgaea and Demikids Light/Dark version.
Recently they have published Shining Force: Resurrection of the Dark Dragon in the US, Double Dragon, Shinning Souls series,River City Ransom. Digital Devil Saga and Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne are also confirmed that they will be published in the US. There is a high chance that their newest SRPG called "StellaDeus" might also be published outside of the US (Well atleast I hope).

Not much different than what they have done in the past but now they seem to pick the right things or seems to make some really good moves dispited that they have reported red numbers a time ago.

Wouldn't it be sweet if they pick up some of the Atelier series from Gust? Not sure from a business point of view if that would be a good move though as the game isn't popular outside of Japan. But for us it will be a great move non the less.

-So what is your current thoughts on Atlus USA with these type of moves?
-What other (non)Atlus game would you think they should pick up to publish outside of Japan?!

NEO GEO AES 074156 || My Gamingblog

Old 06-17-2004, 01:12 AM   #2
Ammadeau
Monkeyphobic

Ammadeau is Offline:
Send a message via AIM to Ammadeau

Quote:
Originally Posted by K1D
Wouldn't it be sweet if they pick up some of the Atelier series from Gust? Not sure from a business point of view if that would be a good move though as the game isn't popular outside of Japan. But for us it will be a great move non the less.
The previous Atelier games I would have said even they wouldn't take the risk, but the newest one, Iris, is a straight up RPG with fun gameplay systems and a light and funny story, but with a serious side to it. And it looks great in high rez 2D... though some of the more 3D enviroments don't look as great. People looking for an old school RPG before they got all hip or whatever would definitely enjoy it. I just completed a dungeon inside a gigantic slime and reached the point where you can customize your own weapons. It's a niche title, but if they only expect niche sales than it should do well.

I still can't believe they're bringing SMT: Nocturne, which I'll be reviewing once I've finished the Japanese version. This is the only game I've ever played that deserves to be called mature. The story is intricate, complex, and forces the player to actually think and make choices about what's happening. Even the battle system actually requires you to think! I tried playing FFX-2 after and couldn't tolerate the braindead battle system.

... but this thread is about Atlus USA. Yeah, I love all the games they've been actively bringing over and even more managing to get strong sales with. They probably don't like me though since I always get the Japanese releases instead.

Kade-san, to a ninja, what the Master says is absolute.
If the master says that there is a maid with cat ears, then there is.
If he says that there's a cute sister that's not blood-related, then there is!

Shinobu, 2X2=Shinobu
www.ammadeau.net - my personal complete waste of spare time.

Old 06-17-2004, 01:18 AM   #3
Flik
Mercenary for Hire

Flik is Offline:
Send a message via AIM to Flik

I'm glad to see they're bringing games out that otherwise would never ever make it out here. At least someone's willing to do that. I'm especially happy that they're bringing Shin Megami Tensei out over here at the end of the year, not to mention they've released 3 of my favorite GBA games at the time (Double Dragon, RCR Advance, Shining Force). They've been one of my favorite companies out there for some time, and it looks like they will be for some time more.

Old 06-17-2004, 01:41 AM   #4
taloony
Peach

taloony is Offline:

I'm really loving Atlus right now. SMT is a great game from what I've heard, and Avatar Tuner looks like it may be alright. They've been doing alright by me for years though: Eternal Punishment is one of my favorite games.

However...They sure did fuck up the first Persona, and no IS as well. Because of those two things, I've always got this little bit of doubt in the back of my mind about what they're doing.

Old 06-17-2004, 01:59 AM   #5
Andy
Peach

Andy is Offline:
Send a message via AIM to Andy

I love them as well, and have been loving them more and more lately. Outside of Nintendo, they're my favorite GBA publisher, with Tactics Ogre, Shining Force and Soul series, Lufia, the Technos titles, and many others. I'm really looking forward to SMT Nocturn as well, and Stella Deus looks fantastic.

Old 06-17-2004, 02:03 AM   #6
Jeremy
Sega Warlord

Jeremy is Offline:
Send a message via AIM to Jeremy Send a message via MSN to Jeremy Send a message via Yahoo to Jeremy

I've loved the stuff they've published in the past, but they are in a seriously awesome groove this gen that astounds me.

Old 06-17-2004, 02:08 AM   #7
bahn
Undercover Brother

bahn is Offline:
Send a message via AIM to bahn

I STILL need to get La Pucelle Tactics.

"Leadership is direction, not position."

Old 06-17-2004, 02:28 AM   #8
Ammadeau
Monkeyphobic

Ammadeau is Offline:
Send a message via AIM to Ammadeau

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahn
Don't worry. They didn't publish that.

Old 06-17-2004, 12:02 PM   #9
DirtySouth
Wal-Mart Goon

DirtySouth is Offline:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahn

I beat it a couple of weeks ago. It's a great game, but if you're expecting a game that has the replay value of Disgaea, well, it doesn't. There's not nearly as much to do outside of the main quest as there was on Disgaea. I think there's an alternate ending if you go into hell, fight a while, and get Prier's title to Overlord, but as far as I know, that's it. The storyline is a bit better than Disgaea's, though, and the sprites are a LOT better.

Last edited by DirtySouth : 06-17-2004 at 12:17 PM.

Old 06-17-2004, 12:28 PM   #10
Mzo
You Know You Want This

Mzo is Offline:
Send a message via AIM to Mzo

I love Atlus for Cubivore...

did they publish SkyGunner?